With 81% of breaches using weak or stolen passwords and the fact that we have been using passwords as the primary method of application authentication for over 60 years, it’s no wonder why so many are turning to Multi-Factor Authentication or MFA. PTP’s preferred partner for this technology is Duo from Cisco. Presently Duo’s PUSH technology is the most used authentication method accounting for 68.6% of all of Duo’s authentications. This is increasing because as Dave Lewis, an Advisory CISO for Duo at Cisco says, “The problem here is that SMS is not a secure medium by definition.”
What is exciting is the advancements being made in MFA. Cisco Duo will soon release the major upgrade of Version 4.0.0.
What is Changing?
- An updated look-and-feel. This includes simplified navigation, a modern card-based design for accounts, and more visible in-app alerts. We have also updated the position of the Approve and Deny buttons when responding to a Duo Push to place Approve on the right in keeping with established UI patterns familiar to end-users.
- Improvements to the enrollment and onboarding experience. This includes better contextual messaging during the onboarding process for new users, and tips on enabling Duo Mobile’s account restore features to make it easier to set up a new phone later.
- Better accessibility. This includes accessible color contrast ratios, better support for screenreader users, a landscape view, and variable font sizes.
What is Not Changing?
- Receive a Duo Push.
- Use passcodes.
- Add, edit, reorder, and remove accounts.
- Backup and restore accounts.
- Use dark mode.
- And anything else you can do in the current version of the app.